What should I do if the faucet is rusty?
Posted on March 31 2022
For some small objects in life, I believe you will not pay much attention to it when you use it. Take stainless steel faucet, stainless steel faucet should be the one you often choose when choosing a faucet. After using it for a long time You will rust the stainless steel faucet, what is going on? What should I do if the faucet is rusty?
The principle of stainless steel
The rust resistance and corrosion resistance of stainless steel are due to the formation of a chromium-rich oxide film (passivation film) on its surface. This kind of rust resistance and corrosion resistance are relative. Tests have shown that the corrosion resistance of steel in weak media such as the atmosphere and water and oxidizing media such as nitric acid increases with the increase of the chromium content in the steel. When the chromium content reaches a certain percentage, the corrosion resistance of the steel changes suddenly. , That is, from easy to rust to not easy to rust, from no corrosion resistance to corrosion resistance.
Why does stainless steel rust
Everyone in the stainless steel industry knows that unless you kick the donkey to the head, no one will guarantee you that it will not rust. Some people think that stainless steel will never rust. In fact, this is a one-sided misconception of a lack of understanding of stainless steel.
Stainless steel is not necessarily free of rust, but it has a much lower corrosion rate than other steels in the same environment, and sometimes it can even be negligible. But it is not any kind of stainless steel, which can resist corrosion and rust in any environment.
Stainless steel relies on a very thin, strong, dense and stable chromium-rich oxide film (protective film) formed on its surface to prevent oxygen atoms from continuing to penetrate and continue to oxidize, thereby obtaining the ability to resist rust. Once this film is continuously destroyed for some reason, oxygen atoms in the air or liquid will continue to infiltrate or iron atoms in the metal will continue to separate out, forming loose iron oxide, and the metal surface will continue to be rusted.
What conditions in life are likely to cause stainless steel to rust
1. During the kitchen decoration, welding debris, cement, oil stains, etc. remain on the surface of the faucet and sink. Failure to clean it in time may cause rust and mold;
2. Sometimes, the newly renovated house with mineral or acid-alkaline dust falling on the faucet or the surface of the sink will cause "floating rust";
3. Steel items such as kitchen knives, scissors, and corkscrews are placed on the surface of the sink for a long time, which will cause floating rust, mildew or discoloration;
4. Chemical agents, cleaning agents, paints, sauces, oil stains, etc. remain on the faucet and sink. Over time, it will cause mold to stick to the surface of the faucet and sink;
5. The water quality in many areas of our country is poor. In addition, there are too many water pipes that are galvanized. The content of iron and other elements in the water is too high. New house decoration, such as long-term residual water in the water pipe leaving water stains on the sink and not being cleaned in time, it is easy to cause floating rust.
What should I do if the faucet is rusty? Are you sure you don't want to take a look at these cleaning coups? _1
Faucet derusting method
1. Will a layer of dirt or scale accumulate on the bathroom faucet that has been used for a long time? If this is the case in your home, give up using detergent and try the effect of potato skins? This is both natural and environmentally friendly, so it is a natural and low-cost "derusting magic weapon".
2. Take a potato, peel off the skin of the potato with a knife, and then use the meat side to wipe the surface of the stainless steel faucet repeatedly, you will find dirt and scale, and the stains and rust on the faucet will be slow. 3. Slowly Was washed away. Then clean the faucet with clean water, and you can see the true face of the faucet as bright as a mirror.
4. Prepare salt and vinegar, mix the salt and vinegar together, stir, let the salt be fully diluted in the vinegar, and then heat it. After heating, use an absorbent sponge or rag to fill the liquid, and then put it until there is rust. Cover the place for 20-30 minutes.
5. Half an hour has passed. Dip a rough cloth with salt and vinegar mixture and scrub it vigorously to easily remove the stubborn rust.
6. If you use soft cloth and toothpaste, please pay attention to the degree of force. Be careful that the toothpaste will grind out small marks on your precious faucet. It is best to use the current crystal toothpaste.
7. If it is chrome-plated, it is recommended to use Coca-Cola to clean it.
8. Coca-Cola contains a small amount of phosphoric acid. The chemical reaction between phosphoric acid and chromium produces a protective layer of chromium phosphate. In the 1950s and 1960s, drivers who drove cars, motorcycles, and trucks used Coke in the industry. Phosphoric acid is still used for the above-mentioned purposes, and all anti-rust coatings require phosphoric acid. (Remove water stains)
9. Iron rust requires water and oxygen, and the solubility of gas decreases with the increase of temperature. That is to say, in hot water, the solubility of oxygen is relatively small-hot water contains less oxygen but cold water contains There is more oxygen, so the cold one will rust faster.
What should I do if the faucet is rusty? Are you sure you don't want to take a look at these cleaning coups? _2
Maintenance and maintenance of stainless steel faucet
1. When the room temperature is lower than zero degrees Celsius, the faucet is prone to abnormalities. For example, the handle of the faucet will feel abnormal. At this time, hot water should be used to pour the faucet until it is restored to normal before use will not affect the life of the faucet.
2. The faucet at home is often dirty. Clean the surface regularly during use. You can wipe it off with a clean soft cloth and neutral soapy water. Do not use corrosive chemicals and hard brushes for cleaning, such as ammonia, decontamination powder, toilet cleaners, iron brushes, etc., to avoid surface damage.
3. In order to ensure the long-lasting durability of the product, the faucet should not be used too hard, even the traditional one can not be vigorously screwed, but should be turned gently, even when it is closed. Also, don't use the faucet as a handrail to support heavy objects.
4. When there is bleaching agent and various acids attached, it should be rinsed immediately with water, and then immersed with ammonia solution or neutral carbon soda solution, and washed with neutral detergent or warm water.
5. When the faucet is not used for a long time, it is recommended to close the main water inlet valve at home.