Why does the stainless steel faucet I bought rust?
Posted on May 16 2023
The stainless steel faucet at home suddenly rusted. Many people thought that they had bought a fake product and went to the merchant to complain and ask for compensation. At this time, many merchants felt wronged. Their products were obviously genuine, so how coul d they rust?
Today we will take a look at whether the stainless steel faucet will rust.
- Why does stainless steel rust?
When brown rust spots appear on the surface of stainless steel pipes, everyone will think that "stainless steel does not rust, and rusty ones are not stainless steel. It may be a quality problem with the steel." In fact, this is a wrong view of stainless steel. Stainless steel will rust under certain conditions.
Stainless steel not only has the ability to resist atmospheric oxidation -- that is, stainless, but also has the ability to corrode in media containing acids, alkalis, and salts -- that is, corrosion resistance. But the size of its resistance to corrosion with the chemical constitution of its steel itself, add mutual state, working conditions and surrounding medium type and change.
Like 304 steel pipes, in the atmosphere of dry cleansing, absolute good resistant to tarnishing ability is arranged, but it is moved on to riviera, in containing the sea fog of a large amount of salts, will soon get rusty; good. Therefore, not any kind of stainless steel can resist corrosion and rust in any environment.
- The stainless principle of stainless steel
The principle of stainless steel is that the rust resistance and corrosion resistance of stainless steel are due to the formation of a chromium-rich oxide film (passive film) on its surface, and this stainless steel and corrosion resistance are relative.
The test shows that the corrosion resistance of steel increases with the increase of chromium content in steel in weak medium such as air and water and in oxidizing medium such as nitric acid. When the chromium content reaches a certain percentage, the corrosion resistance of steel changes abruptly. , that is, from easy to rust to not easy to rust, from non-corrosion resistant to corrosion resistant.
- What causes stainless steel to rust
There are many forms of damage to this surface film, and the common ones are as follows:
- During the kitchen decoration, welding shavings, cement, oil stains, etc. remain on the surface of the faucet and sink. If they are not cleaned in time, they may cause rust or mildew;
- Sometimes, mineral or acid-base dust in the newly renovated house falls on the surface of the faucet and sink, and it will also cause "floating rust" when it encounters moisture;
In addition, these two basic substances can destroy the passive surface of stainless steel and cause corrosion to it:
- Mechanical abrasives
Refers to things that will scratch the steel surface, such as: steel wipes, metal wire brushes and metal fragments, etc.;
It can be seen everywhere. Exist in water, food, salt. One of the worst comes from household and industrial cleaners.
- How to maintain the stainless steel faucet
- The surface of the decorative stainless steel must be cleaned and scrubbed frequently to remove attachments and eliminate external factors that cause modification;
- 316 material stainless steel should be used as much as possible in seaside areas, 316 material can resist seawater corrosion;
- The chemical composition of some stainless steel pipes on the market cannot meet the corresponding national standards, and cannot meet the requirements of 304 material. Therefore, it will also cause rust, so choose products from reputable manufacturers.
The above is the analysis of the stainless steel faucet. For the safety of water for yourself and your family, it is necessary to maintain or replace the faucet regularly.
YOROOW Sanitary Ware has been deeply engaged in the field of faucets for more than 12 years, and has its own R&D team and production factory, which can provide customers with OEM&ODM services. As one of the most professional faucet manufacturers in China, yoroow always insists on serving all customers with the most professional knowledge and attitude, and has also received a lot of praise from customers. If you have any needs for the faucet, please Contact Us, we will give you a reply within 24 hours and do our best to help you solve the problem